Book review by Jon Aring, member of the Greenheart Book Club
This book focused on healing yourself and others with energy, as well as explaining the theories and concepts behind energy work. At times, this book seemed all over the place, but after going back to write my outline, I realized the connections and saw how valuable this information really was.
Some highlighted points:
- For energy work to be effective, we have to accept there is a human energy field, and that it carries all experiences, internal and external.
- When different people come into our lives, good and bad, we must look at them as teachers. The person that seems to be drawing our energy the most is a mirror of ourselves. Our task is to learn the lesson rather than resent the teacher.
- Detachment doesn’t mean we don’t care, but rather that we are detaching (letting go) from the fear of the outcome. Adra made a good point that this could also mean we are detaching from our ego and our attachment to how are ego will be rewarded or not through an outcome.
- We must be open and attentive to the guidance we receive from the universe every day.
- Quote from Peace Pilgrim: “I don’t eat junk food. I don’t think junk thoughts.”
Healing requires personal responsibility and taking action. Just like you can’t expect to run a marathon without training, you must work on yourself. The worst you could do is get caught up in the victim mentality. We might need to carry this burden to receive a spiritual healing.
More in-depth notes below…
The Human Energy Field:
- Electricity generated by living tissue creates an energy field around human beings that can be read by intuitives.
- This energy field carries our internal (memories, belief patterns, superstitions) and external (past and current relationships, personal and professional, and profound and traumatic experiences).
- The force carried in our field directly effects new tissue that then emits a certain quality of energy – “Biography becoming biology.”
Symptoms and illness are directly related to some sort of energy issue in your life, issues made manifest in the body.
The way to understand the cause of our issues is through symbolic sight.
- Life challenges are lessons
- People are teachers
- Issues are reflections of yourself
“..the person who seems to be drawing your energy is actually a reflection of some part of yourself. Concentrating on the person…will not heal you, you will be sent more and more teachers, each more intense. Your task is to learn the lesson rather than resent the teacher.”
Once you have identified the eternal truth associated with your ailment you can organize healing around learning from that truth.
Healing requires taking action
- Dedication and commitment
- Move through your wounds rather than live in them
- “Don’t waste time by thinking, acting or praying like a victim”
7 Universal Spiritual Truth and corresponding energy and physical systems
- Embodied by each of 7 Chakras as well as by the seven sacraments of Christianity and seven corresponding teachings of the Kabbalah
- Make up a road map for our life journey
- Violating these truths weakens our spirit and physical body while honoring them strengthens us
Diagram – pg. 79/ pg.96
Level 1: “All is One” – Tribal chakra, baptism and Shekinah
We are interconnected to all of life and to one another
Level 2: “Honor One Another” – Partnership chakra, Communion, Yesod
Act with integrity and honor in all of our relationships
“Release compulsion to judge who and what has value and instead focus on honoring the person or task with which you are involved.”
Level 3: “Honor Oneself” – Personal power chakra, confirmation, Hod and Nezah
Develop self-esteem and self-respect
“Have the self esteem to recognize that discomfort or confusion is actually directing you to take charge and make choices that will break you out of stagnation or misery.”
Level 4: “Love is Divine Power” – Emotional power chakra, marriage, Tif’eret
Refine our capacity to love and forgive, ourselves as well as others
Self love means caring for ourselves enough to forgive people in our past so that the wounds can no longer damage us
Level 5: “Surrender Personal Will to Divine Will” – Willpower, confession, Hesed and Gevurah
Make contact with your divine purpose
Making choices out of fear, even when they produce the desired outcome, will bring side-effects. Better to make choices with a trust in Divine guidance.
Level 6: “Seek Only the Truth” – Chakra of the mind, ordination and Binah and Hokhman
Continually reevaluate the truth and integrity of our beliefs
Retrieve one’s power from artificial and false truths
Detach to see true meaning free of subjective perceptions
Does not mean ceasing to care, rather you have quieted your fear-driven voices so that external influences have no authority
“I don’t eat junk food and I don’t think junk thoughts” – Peace Pilgrim
Level 7: “Live in the Present Moment” – Chakra of the spirit, extreme unction, Keter
Be open and attentive to the constant guidance we receive each day.
Literal interpretation creates separation whereas symbolic interpretation brings us together.